The Village of Winnebago, Illinois, is seeking a qualified professional to serve as its Village Administrator.
Exiting from US-20, located in picturesque Northern Illinois, surrounded by corn & wheat fields, Winnebago (population 2,940) is 25 miles south of the Illinois/Wisconsin border and just west of Rockford.
The Village currently has 13 full-time employees, plus part-time and seasonal employees and an FY 2023 General Fund Budget of $3.3 million and a total budget of $7.7 million. Services provided by the Village include general administration, code enforcement, permitting planning & zoning, police, street maintenance, and water treatment and distribution. Fire protection and wastewater treatment are provided by other public bodies.
The Village Administrator will report to the Village President (Mayor) and six-member Board of Trustees and is responsible for the supervision and coordination of the work of all departments of the Village and the management of all Village operations.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as Chief Administrative Officer
- Planning, coordinating, directing, managing, and supervising the activities, operations, programs, and services of the Village.
- Taking responsibility for the development and implementation of plans, programs, policies, and procedures
- Providing highly responsible and complex policy development and implementation support to the Village President and Board of Trustees
- Managing and supervising the preparation and administration of the operating and capital budgets.
- Providing general administrative assistance and support to the President and Board of Trustees
Required: Reliably commute within 25 miles of the Village of Winnebago within one year of hire.
The ideal candidate should have, but not required:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited college or university in public administration, business administration, public policy, political science, or related field; o OR a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in local government management, preferably in a municipal setting.
- Knowledge of and experience in modern local government management principles, practices, concepts, strategies, techniques, budgeting, and finance.
- Knowledge of and experience in municipal planning TIF districts and economic development and the ability to work with potential developers, the community and other stakeholders to advance Winnebago’s business and residential communities.
- A commitment to the continued delivery of high quality, efficient, and effective municipal services.
- Have proficient knowledge of Microsoft office software.
How to Apply
To apply for this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
ksymonds [at] villageofwinnebago.com. Faxed or mailed application materials will not be considered. Application materials must be received by the Village no later than 4:00 p.m. CDT, Thursday, October 26th, 2023.