VILLAGE OF WINNEBAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR FULL-TIME OFFICERS
Starting Wage: $54,600 – $61,152 DOE
The Village of Winnebago Police Department seeks to expand our current staff. We are currently accepting applications to fill immediate vacancies and establish a list for future hiring needs. The Winnebago Police Department provides 24/7 coverage to the Village of Winnebago, Illinois.
The Village of Winnebago is located just west of the City of Rockford and offers a small-town charm and one-on-one interactions with our community. The Winnebago Police Department is committed to creating and maintaining a professional and community-oriented police service. With its dedicated officers, the department it is equipped and trained to handle many types of emergency situations.
- 90%(employer)-10%(employee) paid healthcare and dental with optional vision coverage. Life and disability insurance.
- First issue uniforms and equipment provided, uniform allowance after first year
- Paid overtime & holiday pay (10 paid holidays a year), nightshift differential
- 12-hour shifts, every other three-day weekend off (Friday/Saturday/Sunday)
- Sick time accrued based on years of service plus two personal days a year
- Vacation time is based on years of service to the Village of Winnebago
- IMRF retirement system (Tier Two for newly hired officers)
- Many training opportunities available
Candidates for lateral appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- Must have successfully completed the Illinois Basic Law Enforcement Academy and possess certification from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board or be qualified to take the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board “Out of State Reciprocity” requirements to include: Mandatory Firearms Training and the Law for Illinois Police Equivalency Exam
- Sworn, certified law enforcement officer within the last 3 years preceding the date of application. Municipal experience preferred.
- Applicant must be in good standing in the police department for which they serve or were laid off from.
- Candidates that do not meet these requirements will not be considered for lateral hiring.
Minimum Criteria for all candidates:
- Citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Individuals must be at least 21 years old.
- Education – High School diploma or its equivalent.
- Must have no felony (or certain misdemeanor) convictions and be of good moral character.
- Possess substantially equivalent skills and abilities of a police officer.
- Possession of an Illinois Driver’s License and the ability to obtain a FOID card.
All applications will be screened to confirm minimum qualifications are met. Qualified applications are kept on file and applicants may be selected for further consideration.
Applicants selected for further consideration will be invited to a mandatory oral interview with the Police Committee Chair, Chief of Police and Sergeant. Only those applicants who received an official recommend referral to proceed from the Police Committee will be advanced in the hiring process.
Non-Lateral (newly appointed police officer) candidates must pass written and the Illinois Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (P.O.W.E.R.) tests. Lateral candidates will be given preference and non-lateral candidates will be considered only if no qualified lateral candidates are selected. Non-lateral candidates may be subject to an employment contract for the cost of academy training for a term not to exceed three years beyond their probational period. Details on the POWER test can be found here:
Qualified applicants who have been recommended by the Police Committee may be further considered for employment, but are subject to the following professional examinations to be considered for appointment:
- Physical Fitness Assessment (if applicable)
- Background Investigation
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination
If you have any questions, please contact Sergeant III Nicholas Haff via email: haff [at] bagopolice.com